Last Updated on February 24, 2022 by Ross Yamashita
Making personalized sneakers for yourself or as a business idea is no longer one of those dreams that just gets away. If you have an idea and want to make money from print-on-demand shoes, here’s your chance. From popular brands to off-key websites, there are loads of places where you can design your own sneakers. Take a look.
What To Know About Making Shoes
It doesn’t matter if you haven’t paid attention to the business side of the clothing and apparel industry up until now. If you are thinking of making your print-on-demand shoes, here’s the first set of things you need to know.
In this segment of business, footwear is a big hit. And this includes customizable shoes too. These are often made by individuals or small businesses for customers as and when they place an order. Just what you are probably planning to do.
In the footwear segment, boots and sneakers are hugely successful. Brands like Puma, Nike and Adidas have made a ton of money thanks to this.
Here are a few numbers that will tell you the scale of this market and what you can do if you can capture it with your own bright idea.
- Young adults in the age bracket of 18 to 35 dominate half the footwear market. And if you are looking to get those who pay the most, you must focus on men who are 54 percent of the majority spenders.
- Now, customizing shoes has become sort of a trend by the end of 2018. This took the footwear market’s revenue to a total of $410 billion across the globe.
- The growth projection for 2020-2024 is at 4.9 percent.
- By 2024, the footwear market’s revenue in the USA is projected to reach a volume of $132,328 million.
- The average user spends $50 and most of this is generated out of China which is at $53,819 million.
- No matter the segment of this market, the growth is expected to be over 10 percent by 2023.
So, if you want a slice of that pie, get started on understanding how to customize shoes. Here’s a small guide to give you a headstart.
The print-on-demand industry is also growing at an impressive pace and it is no longer confined to t-shirts and mugs. Quality shoes are also in the game now and that’s where your ideas have the chance to become the next big thing.
Traditionally, a print-on-demand business requires a supplier who can turn your ideas into reality. This way, you get to make a product that reflects your brand and gives you the chance to sell a unique product without having to invest upfront for inventory. This is an excellent way to try out a few ideas and see which ones click with the demographic you are targeting.
This business model essentially allows you to create your own line of shoes and make more money than you could have by selling clothing products. That’s because the average conversion rate is higher for shoes than for clothes.
When you start a business online, you need to understand a few basic principles. You must establish your brand, your niche and understand both your potential customer and your print-on-demand partner. Here’s how you get started.
You must find the niche where there is a demand for the shoes you want to sell. Shoes are often considered an extension of one’s style statement. So, do some market research that tells you where your passion is shared.
This will give you a peak into your audience’s needs and what they are expecting from a brand. That’s how you can sell a good product.
You can make the best-looking shoes in the business but if you don’t customize them to your customer’s needs, you won’t be able to sell them. This means you need to find a platform like Printify which has a mockup generator.
You can create great designs that you can refine and sell. Whether you want to try your designs on combat boots or flip flops, you won’t be limited by choice.
Follow shoe trends closely to see what can be made from scratch and what needs to be modified. This way you can serve your passion and also make money out of your new business venture.
And if you follow principle 2, you don’t have to have the skills of a designer to make your own shoes. If that doesn’t work, you can contact designers and artists who can help you with your vision.
If you are clear on working only on printed sneakers, well, you have certainly found your niche. If you scroll through Pinterest or Instagram, you will see that customized sneakers are a very popular segment.
But for a long time, only those who knew the ins and outs of Photoshop were able to do this. Thankfully, now there are plenty of apps and websites that will help you customize sneakers at a basic level. All you need is a smartphone.
You can pick different designs of sneakers and sort of remix them. This means you can mix the uppers of one company’s sneakers with the soles of another along with the outer design and the elements.
Here’s how most of these apps and/or websites work.
- Step 1: Pick a basic design that will be the foundation. You might want to start with black and white sneakers so that most if not all colors will go with the base color.
- Step 2: Pick the colors that you want on the sneakers based on the outfit or season. Orange, red, yellow, gray and green are good for winters. You might also want a pattern in which case you need to pick one from existing templates or upload your own.
- Step 3: Add elements like text to the design if that’s part of the plan. Otherwise, your customization ends at adding the pattern.
And, your mockup is ready. The best platforms come with a mockup generator that will tell you what your final product will look like. Keep your printing partner in the loop and get cracking with sales.
Print on demand is a great way for businesses to generate products depending on the precise demand of the product rather than the other way round. It is most definitely an asset for those who are starting on their own and basing their operation in the fashion industry with products like t-shirts and sneakers.
And the best part is that changing the style and content of the product is really easy with POD. Whether you want to make a quick buck or a mark in the industry, shoes are an excellent choice. And now you know why.